Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Writing In my Sleep Redux

.
I'm off to the Big Apple today, for a seminar on dealing with the Google (slogan: "Be Evil.  Be Very Evil") rights theft scam.  More on that later.

Meanwhile, the other night I wrote a fragment of prose in my sleep.  Nothing large enough to save for later use.  It goes as follows:

It began with a rumbling in Arthur's desert bowl.  He leaned forward in bemused wonder.  The Jello rippled alarmingly, to the edge of the bowl and back.  Then, abruptly, it bulged upward . . . and a woman's arm erupted up and out!


In the the hand was a sword.

*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,

were you in conversation with the ghost of Douglas Adams?

or is it just that the name Arthur is now a two-edged sword?

Michael Swanwick said...

Good lord, did Douglas Adams use that joke? Have I been plagiarizing in my sleep?

The National Lampoon used that joke once on their cover: an arm clutching a sword emerging from a sink full of dirty dishes. Which joke was rather spoiled by the fact that the art director had never heard of the Lady of the Lake, and used a male arm.

Chad Hull said...

That is absurdly awesome. I can only hope for an equally absurdly awesome fleshed (or Jello-ed) out story to follow.

Unknown said...

If you make a story out of this, I'll be very disappointed if Mordred isn't the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man.