Monday, February 21, 2011

I'm BAAAAAAaaack!

.


And I'm off the road!  It was fun to be at Boskone, but it's better to be home.

Not only am I back, but I'm in print.  The current (April/May) issue of Asimov's includes my story "An Empty House With Many Doors."  Which is, if I may dare say it aloud, a love letter to Marianne.  One which took five years to finish.  

What happened was that one evening I asked myself what I would do if Marianne were to die in a car accident or while fighting to turn back (and this is so typical of her) an objectivist invasion of the United States.  Well, I thought, I wouldn't be a drama queen about it.  I'd do the decent, manly thing and slowly drink myself to death.

That evening I wrote the first half of the story.

The second half, though . . .  How could I come up with a happy ending?  Keeping in mind that Marianne would settle for nothing less?  I was stymied for a long, long time.

But finally I found it.  The second half, I mean.

And hence the story.

Above:  My beautiful steampunk wife, with what T. S. Eliot called "Prester John's balloon."
(

No comments: