Friday, November 9, 2012

Philcon and the End of the Auction

.



The auction for the framed, signed typescript of "From Ghoulies and Ghosties, Long-Leggitie Beasties..." ends in only a couple of hours.  There's still time to bid and still time to watch and root.

Remember, all proceeds go to Clarion West Writers Workshop, which is that most honorable of institutions, one that works hard to ensure that we'll have fantasy and science fiction stories in the coming decades.

You can find the auction here.


And this weekend . . .

In a few hours I head out for Philcon, currently held in Cherry Hill, NJ.  (For which reason, my son's waggish friends refer to it as Chillcon.)  It should be fun.

My current schedule is:


Friday

7:00 PM in Crystal Ballroom Two
WHAT MAKES AN SF WORK ENDURE?
 [with Alexis Gilliland (mod), Andrew Breslin, Lee Gilliland, and Sam Lubell]

8:00 PM in Plaza IV  
WHO ARE THE GREAT WRITERS OF SCIENCE FICTION?
 [with  Sam Lubell (mod), Theodore Krulik, David Hartwell, and Michael Walsh]

11:00 PM in Crystal Ballroom Three  
DRUGS AND THE WORKS OF PHILIP K. DICK  
 [with Tom Doyle (mod), April Grey, Andrew C. Murphy, and Bernie Mojzes]


Saturday

12:00 PM in Plaza V  
RAY BRADBURY TRIBUTE PANEL
 [with Susan Casper (mod), Marilyn "Mattie" Brahen, Marvin Kaye, Steve Vertlieb,]

1:00 PM in Autograph Table  
AUTOGRAPH SESSION 1:00 - 2:00 (1276)

2:00 PM in Plaza V
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR IDEAS?
 [with Oz Drummond (mod), Ty Drago, Tim W. Burke, and Mike McPhail]

5:00 PM in Plaza III  
COMPLETELY OBSOLETE NOTIONS (1126)
 [with Darrell Schweitzer (mod), Lee Gilliland, Brian Thomas, and Earl Bennett]

7:00 PM in Plaza V
HAS THE COMMERCIAL IMPACT OF TOLKIEN HARMED FANTASY? (1190)
[with Ellen Asher (mod), Daniel Grotta, Allyn Gibson, and Sarah Hunter]


If you're there, be sure to say hi.


Above:  The fabled item itself, posed between my bust of Surplus and a lantern filled with keys.  I'm going to miss that thing.  But it's for a worthy cause.


*

1 comment:

CDelle said...

Mr. Swanwick, I was hoping to send this to you via email, however since I cannot find a contact for you this was the next best thing in my mind.

First of all I wanted to tell you how much I love and appreciate your work. I first read The Iron Dragon's Daughter when I was 16. Our school's library was giving away some books and I liked the cover so I picked it up. I was expecting your average fantasy novel about dragons and all the other tropes of the genre, but I was completely unprepared for what awaited me behind the cover. I've since read the book three or four times and it has become one of my all time favorites novels.

It's been a while since I've read it so I decided to purchase it in ebook format on the Kindle Store, since I do all of my reading on my iPhone and iPad these days. I was very disappointed to find that it is one of your only novels that is NOT on the Kindle Store. This is the main reason I'm writing you today. Can you please, PLEASE bring The Iron Dragon's Daughter to the Kindle Store? I would really like to read it again but I much prefer the portability and ease of ebooks over traditional paperbacks.

I will admit that the unavailability of The Iron Dragon's Daughter had its upside (for you and for me). I decided to purchase one of your other books instead, Stations of the Tide. It too is now one of my all time favorite novels, and since you are two for two, my next book purchase is going to be The Dragons of Babel. I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Thank you so much for creating these worlds and the characters that inhabit them. If you have a free minute I would love to hear back from you. My contact info is below.

Sincerely,

Chris Delle
cdelle@gmail.com