Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Compleat (To Date) Darger & Surplus

.




I recently received a letter from a fan asking for a complete listing of my Darger & Surplus stories, and where they can be found.  I don't believe this information is available elsewhere on the Web, so I thought I'd share it here:

There are three published stories:

          The Dog Said Bow-Wow
           The Little Cat Laughed to See Such Sport
           Girls and Boys, Come Out to Play

All of which are in my Tachyon Publications collection, The Dog Said Bow-Wow.

In addition, there is a set of four sequential short-shorts:

            Smoke and Mirrors: Four Scenes from the Postutopian Future

This has not been collected.  It originally appeared in Live Without a Net, edited by Lou Anders.  It was also published by Dragonstairs Press as a set of four small, hand-sewn, signed and numbered chapbooks:

            American Cigarettes 
             Song of the Lorelei
             The Brain-Baron  
             The Nature of Mirrors 

The Brain-Baron is sold out.  The other three are still available for four dollars apiece.  You can find Dragonstairs here.

Dragonstairs Press, incidentally, is the nano-publishing juggernaut of my wife, Marianne Porter.

There is a new story forthcoming:

              Tawny Petticoats

This chronicles the New Orleans adventures of Darger & Surplus and is scheduled to appear soon in Rogues, edited by Gardner Dozois and George R. R. Martin. 

And there are two novels:

              Dancing With Bears

This chronicles how Darger & Surplus finally reach Moscow and what happens then.  It  came out in 2011 from Night Shade Press

              Chasing the Phoenix

This chronicles how Darger & Surplus accidentally conquered China. I recently turned in to my agent.  So a good guess is that it will appear late in 2014 or early in 2015.

There are also a few partially-written Darger & Surplus adventures which I hope to find the time to complete in the coming year.  There aren't as many short stories as I could wish for -- certainly not enough for a collection -- but in time there will be.


*

3 comments:

Anthony Panegyres said...

The Dog Said Bow-Wow is a fabulous collection too.

Just thought I'd add that.

Andreas Thaler said...

Dear Mr. Swanwick,

thank you for putting together this overview of the collected wanderings of Dargar and Surplus, two of my much beloved fantasy heroes.

However, as a reader living in Asia, I am a bit disappointed that "Dancing with Bears" is not available in electronic format (at least not for the Kindle) yet.

Would there be any way to remedy this?

Best regards,
Andreas Thaler, Kuala Lumpur

Arkapravo Bhaumik said...

... and this one https://io9.gizmodo.com/5802446/the-little-cat-laughed-to-see-such-sport