Friday, July 22, 2016

And As Always...

.


I'm on the road again!

Well, I will be tomorrow. I'll be teaching at Clarion West in Seattle all next week. Originally the Week Six teacher was scheduled to be Geoff Ryman, who is a wonderful writer, an admirable human being, and one of the most likable guys you could ever hope to meet. Alas, he fell afoul of a Kafkaesque bureaucratic mixup that has temporarily deprived him of his passport, stranding him in the U. K.

This means that I PROBABLY WON'T BE BLOGGING AT ALL NEXT WEEK. When I teach, the students get everything I have. Nothing is certain in this phenomenal world, of course. But I doubt I'll have the time or energy to post anything here.

I'll be back here on Monday, August 1st.

In the meantime, if you'd like to support Clarion West, you can find their website and contribute to their Write-a-thon here.

Or, if you'd like to support the genre in a more cerebral manner, you could read one of Geoff's novels. I am particularly enthusiastic about The Child Garden and Air, but anything by Ryman is first-rate. The man is astonishing.


*

1 comment:

David Larsen said...

I discovered Ryman via your Fantasy Archipelago essay, lo these many years ago, when it was first published - in Asimov's, was it? Of all the great discoveries from that essay, he remains the best. I've always meant to thank you; for him & for all the others you described so well. That piece has had more influence on my subsequent reading than any other single thing I've come across.